Please see our new price list effective December 1, 2018 on the General Information tab.
Please note: Absolutely no information can be given over the telephone regarding Vital Records. Death Records are available from 1878.
Under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act) only specific individuals have legal access to birth, death, or marriage certificates. The Ford County Clerk’s Office will issue certificates to authorized individuals only. To do otherwise is a violation of Illinois Law. Vital Records are not considered public information, nor are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
How to Obtain a Certified Copy of A Death Certificate
- Executive or Administrator of decedent’s estate.
- The informant listed on the Death Certificate.
- The next of kin.
- Someone who has a personal or property right interest in the certificate.
Requests Made in Person At the Office
- Only Cash or Check (credit/debit card not accepted)
- Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except for county holidays).
All transactions must be completed before 4:15 PM.
- Requests made in the office require a valid Driver’s License, State-issued ID, or a Passport (Authorized English translation must accompany identification that is not U.S. issued).
Requests Made Through Mail
- All Mail Requests must include a copy of a signature ID. (The extension of the expiration date must be copied if applicable).
* Effective July 1, 2012, an additional $2.00 will be collected by all local registrars and county clerks for the issuance of certified copies of death and fetal death certificates. This is pursuant to PA 97-0679. The new fee will be forwarded on a monthly basis to the Illinois Department of Public Health and will be deposited into the Cemetery Oversight Licensing and Disciplinary Fund (COLDF) and used by Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR).
- IL Law (ILCS410/535/25(1)) requires advance payment for the searching of genealogical search of files that occurred 75 years ago or more. This $10.00 search fee is per visit, per birth and non-refundable and must be a separate check or money order. The cost per visit is $7.00 for first copy, $2.00 each additional copy of the same Birth Certificate. Please make your check payable to Ford County Clerk.
* Effective July 1, 2012, the cost for certified copies of a death certificate in Ford County per visit will be $11.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy of the same Death Certificate. Please make check payable to Ford County Clerk.